Thursday, August 14, 2014

Switching from Tact to something Else

What's Best Forum addresses the switch from Tact room correction to something else.

A consensus seems to be that room correction is best kept below 250 Hz.  Unfortunately, my earlier Tact 2.0 RCS can only do full range correction.  Later versions of Tact, in a late late update, got a top correction frequency setting.  For the longest time, the designer of Tact maintained that full range correction was essential, so a top frequency setting was not allowed.  That probably doomed the company, which appears to have vaporized (it had a good run for about 10 years).   You could (and I've never bothered to do this) set a correction curve that matched the upper frequency curves of both speakers well enough that there would be little or no correction.  I've never really mastered drawing target curves that well.

That's why I've been using manual room mode correction, for my subwoofer only (except I just last week added a minor notch to the panels).  I'm planning to try the DSPeaker Dual Core correction soon. It apparently has a low top frequency…though it's not clear you can set the correction top frequency.

But even without top frequency for correction, I can fake it by applying correction only to the subwoofer channels (after measurement).  Then whatever correction it might have applied to upper frequencies won't matter much anyway.

Since I upped the bass slightly (reducing the steep notch at 45 Hz) in the last time alignment I have been noticing excess bass boom around the room (but not at listening position).  My plan is to correct both at listening position and at a wall position, so the wall position (with maximum nodes) won't get exaggerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment