Friday, August 15, 2014

Multipoint Room Correction

One of the features I want in my next low frequency room correction system is multipoint correction.  That means that a correction will flatten a primary listing position while at the same time not letting secondary listening positions get too far out of whack.  I need that because the quasi-central listening position gets cancellation but much of the room around the boundary gets huge boom from room modes.

DSPeaker Dual Core has this feature.  One thing I don't like about the DSPeaker, however, is that it only has Toslink digital IO.  The Toslink output of my Tact preamp doesn't seem to work (didn't work with Behringer DEQ 2496 when I tried that a few months ago).  So I will need to convert the Coax SPDIF output to Toslink with an adapter.  Then I will need to convert the Toslink output of the DSPeaker into AES for input to the Behringer DCX 2496 which I may still need for crossover and time delay functions.  I might be able to use the analog output of the DSPeaker if I can program in correct inter channel delay and crossover, and it looks like I might be able to do.

Here is the manual for the DSPeaker Dual Core.

On the other hand, AcourateDRC does not seem to have multipoint room correction.  I was looking at that alternative, as it can run on the MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI, which has AES, SPDIF, and Toslink inputs and outputs (for only $299 w/o software).  MiniDSP claims you can get a license to extract filters from Acourate for only $99 but I have not confirmed that.  It looks like the full version of Acourate is more expensive than that.

Another possibility for the MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI is Dirac.  I haven't yet determined whether it is possible to set an upper frequency limit for the correction by Dirac.

A third possibility for OpenDRC-DI is REW (Room EQ Wizard).



No comments:

Post a Comment