Monday, June 29, 2020

Revealing the Denon DVD-9000 HDCD bug, in pictures

[For background, see the preceeding post Curiouser and Curiouser.]

To prove the DVD-9000 HDCD bug, I first played a track on the Mephisto and Co. HDCD, which has been ripped onto my harddrive library.  It plays on the DVD-9000 operating as a coaxial SPDIF DAC (selected by front panel switch), fed coaxial SPDIF from a Sonos ZP80, being fed through the Roon streaming software.

With the gain on my Emotiva XSP-1 preamp set to -5dB, the level peaked considerably above a normal CD, as shown by the LED's on my Lavry AD10 converter.  -1dB to be exact.  That corresponds to nearly 4V output on the Denon (because the Lavry is set for 0db at 3.88V, and the Emotiva doubles the voltage of single ended inputs at its balanced output).



Next, I played a track from  non-HDCD, the album Out of Sight by Pancho Sanchez.  This was also showing -1dB output, same as the HDCD, which should not be happening.



Next, I played a special CD I had burned years ago, with a 0dB recording of 1000 Hz.  This was created with Cool Edit Pro, and reaches the 0dB level precisely at peaks, but with no clipping.  I do not store this CD on my harddrive to avoid playing it by accident.



This showed a level of -7dB, indicating a normal 2V single ended output from the Denon.


Then, I switched the Denon back to Coaxial input, and played the same track from Out of Sight again.  Now, it's only reaching -6dB, like an ordinary CD (but 1dB higher than a 0dB fixed tone recording because of inter-sample-overs, which I may discuss in a future post).


So, to recap, playing the 0dB disc appears to have changed the DVD-9000 so it is back to normal, playing normal 44.1/16 PCM files at 2V output, instead of the 4V output it was reaching immediately after having played an HDCD with peak expansion.

Further tests indicated I could also "reset" the stuck Peak Expansion mode simply by flipping the Source switch on the front panel of the Denon from Coaxial to Disc and back.  And also that the bug does not occur when playing a CD disc after playing the HDCD disc, it only occurs while the DVD-9000 is being used purely as a SPDIF DAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment