Tuesday, January 28, 2020

PB13 Ultra Port Tuning

When I restarted the left sub last month, I wasn't sure whether to set the Port Tune to 16 Hz or 20 Hz. So, to be conservative, I chose 20 Hz.  I believed I had one port open.

After reading the manual online, I realized there are only three approved options:

1) Sealed (choose "Sealed" tuning)
2) Two ports open (choose 16 Hz)
3) All ports open (choose 20 Hz)

One port only causes chuffing, which I thought I heard a few days ago when sweeping the oscillator down low.

So, I took off the metal grill today, and discovered I DID have two ports open.  But I had chosen the now incorrect 20 Hz tuning, so I reset to that to the 16 Hz tuning.

That resulted in essentially flat response from 30 Hz to 20 Hz on my RTA, instead of a slight rolloff at  20 Hz when I was using the 20 Hz tuning.  I saw no other differences.

The speaker works flawlessly this way, but the room shakes badly if the level is loud enough.  The 20 Hz tuning might not be a bad idea anyway, and I might have chosen it before for that reason (to suppress room resonances around 20 Hz) but for now I'm going to try the flatter response, especially as I have now leveled the bass to the midrange level.

There seemed little difference in the stereo correlated response.

Bass candy recordings like Grouse and Bass Mechanic sounded better than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment