Wednesday, January 29, 2020

eTrap working

Last year I moved the BagEnd eTrap from the living room to a hallway corner near the second bedroom.  In fact, I had originally purchased the eTrap for that corner, thinking a passive absorber would be unwieldly there, whereas I could use a passive absorber in the living room.  One thing was I wanted to reduce the incredible bass transmission into the second bedroom.  I've been trying to make the second bedroom liveable, and when I first got subwoofers, the bass level in the second bedroom might well be 20dB higher than at the listening position because of household resonances and couplings.  And with the hallway wall rattling also.  I then spent about $3000 rebuilding the hallway wall (it's now 5 layers thick, with the outer three layers "suspended") and $2500 on a sound resistant door.   I didn't realize this direct approach was going to cost so much, I had previously planned just to buy the $1599 eTrap.  Finding that even all the above didn't help, I bought an eTrap anyway, just for this corner, but I had originally deployed it to deal with issues in the living room itself which now seem lesser anyway, perhaps because of better EQ adjustments.

A few months ago I had just moved the eTrap to the corner where I had intended to put it all along, but didn't have time to adjust until I got home from vacation in December.  I've tried various things since then (trying to deal with a 100 Hz resonance for awhile, but that proved problematic).

But mainly I've had one (of two) electronic traps set basically as low as possible, with as high feedback as possible, on the grounds that it's hard to absorb low stuff, so the lower the better.

But I was noticing tonight that in the second bedroom, a decent amount of 63 Hz was getting through when I was playing Briza.  I kept playing that track and testing different settings.  Just a tiny bit higher seemed not only to suppress the 63 Hz much better, but make it almost impossible to follow the bass line in the second bedroom, whereas before it had been quite easy to follow the bass line even with the door closed.

Strangely I had only moved the control up just past the "34 Hz" setting.  Previously it had been turned much below that setting, as far down it would go (not marked).

It was also easy to see how much attenuation was occurring right in front of the eTrap using my RTA, and that it seemed to extend to 63 Hz with the current adjustment, whereas 63 Hz was not being attenuated with the previous adjustment.

This seems to suit the purpose intended now, though perhaps more precise optimization would be better, but it's far better at suppressing bass in the second bedroom than it was before, because that leakage bass is mostly in the 39-70 Hz range.

Also showing that the thing actually works.


No comments:

Post a Comment