Monday, November 20, 2017

Distortion by the Numbers

John Sau has posted about how low THD+N should be to absolutely guarantee it is inaudible.

If the system reaches 100dB peaks, we can guarantee that the distortion will be inaudible if it is -100dB, because 0dB is the ultimate limit of hearing sensitivity.  Regardless of masking.  (Actually, in many cases, distortion is masked at much higher levels).

I like this.  I expect many of my numbers-phobic audiophile friends will not.

However, distortion meeting the astronomically small numbers recommended may be inarguably inaudible, however it is far less distortion than is required to achieve basic inaudibility virtually all of the time.

With devices which achieve 0.03% THD, and -110 to -120dB below peak noise (and peak...is an attainable level in my system), my system does not quite meet the recommendation actually, but I believe is adequate, as far as electronics are concerned.

The Acoustats are low distortion compared to typical box speakers, but perhaps not quite the lowest distortion in the lowest distortion speakers of all time.  They have more distortion in the bass than elsewhere, since I cross over at 100 Hz at 24dB/octave, that bass distortion has slight effect, and the rest is well below 1% if not 0.1%.  Still, in any fair assessment, the speakers generate the most distortion in my system, if not most systems, except for some tweako ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment