Monday, November 20, 2023

Supertweeter Changes

My next generation supertweeter, to be unveiled on October 31, 2024, will have multiple lines of protection:

1) Two series fuses, fast and slow blow.  I'm going to start with 1a fast and 0.5a slow.

2) I'm going to stick with the 0.47uF series cap, but upgrade to a polystyrene or polypropylene instead of polycarbonate, and 400v rating or better.

3) I may put in a shorting lamp prior to the fuses so it doesn't cause nuisance blowing.

4) I will stick with current 150W amplifier, which is robust.  As long as I have series capacitor like 0.47, I need about 100W or more.

5) I will program the miniDSP used by tweeter with only one option, the 17kHz high pass, so it can't accidentally be turned to flat.

6) The amplifier will be Insteon switched, and only turned on for "Feature Music."  It will be on a power strip that also powers a purple or ultraviolet indicator of some kind, so you can see if tweeter amp is turned on or not.

7) There will be blinking level lights set to some high level like 1 watt, or perhaps multiple LED's.

8) No Behringer will be required.  The miniDSP will be moved over to where the DAC is, to keep center of soundstage clear.

9) The tweeter in back will be soft mounted to the back of the Acoustat interface, firing rear, then timed to match front arrival or not (NE19VTS tweeters.)  This is all I expect to do at first.

10) If tweeter in front, maybe later, Dynaudio in protection cages soft mounted to front of base.  Dynaudio might also be mounted in back facing forward, depending on how acoustically transparent the Acoustats seem to be at 20-30kHz.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment