Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Small adjustment to bass

 A lot of Electronic albums that are recommended to me by Roon have a LOT of deep bass, truly challenging my attempt to have flat bass to 17 Hz.

Even with my double layered dynamie EQ (dEQ) that I set up earlier this month, some cause an unacceptable degree of room shaking.

I found that to be true for the track Red Elevation by Hello Meteor on the album An Unfamiliar Place.  I could not play it at levels much above -15db, and -12dB I was miserable.

This was pretty well fixed simply by rolling back the boost at 25 and 31.5 Hz by 2.0dB, leaving them at +6.5dB instead of the previous insane-sounding +8.5dB (note that some boost is needed because of attenuation by the dEQ itself).

I'm calling this minor adjustment J28.

I also tried rolling back 25 and 32 Hz to 0, calling that NOBASSBOOST.  I can play that without any dynamic eq on this album and it is quite musical, slightly more defined bass, but missing a lot of that feel-it-in-your-gut feeling which I think was actually intended.

So this gets to the fundamentals.  What especially necessitates using dynamic EQ to tame the deep bass is...lots of deep bass boost to get to flat response.

If you're in the listening spot, it would be nice to swithc from dEQ to no dEQ and also have the EQ's change, which is now a bit difficult because the dEQ's are in the subwoofer DEQ in the front stack and not the chairside unit.

But perhaps they can be linked with midi???  Also midi control can be added.

Another fundamental is that the limiting factor may well be the room.  And sometimes it can be fixed with bits of damping around picture frames and such.  But with the really hard room shaking, electronic adjustment of either EQ or dEQ or DYN is needed.  (Or electronic damping, or truly vast quantities of acoustical damping bass traps, swarm woofers, etc.)



No comments:

Post a Comment