Monday, September 6, 2021

What to do with CD's after Ripping

 It seems that hardly anyone recognizes the ethical and legal issues regarding first ripping CD's, then selling or donating them.  Essentially two copies of music have been created, but only one was legally paid for.  This issue gets only a tiny bit of discussion (while being dissed everytime it comes up) in this thread.

Some keep their old CD's for this reason or other reasons, while others donate or sell.

I had been planning to keep all my old CD's.  But as I acquire more and more, this is looking untenable.

I was hoping someone had already "solved" this problem with "recycling" service for CD's.  You send boxes of CD's in, and they recycle the paper and plastic and return you a receipt for all the titles you have recycled, which you can then save as proof of ownership.

Short of that, I was thinking of taking photos of 100 or so CD's at a time laid out flat, then boxed, then trashed.

Though I suppose, old CD's are only the tip of the iceberg of my junk problem.




No comments:

Post a Comment