Monday, November 30, 2020

New FM Antenna for Living Room

I hooked up the kitchen tuner to play via Sonos in the Living Room.  This is very convenient, I can tune the living room system, which I like for background music everywhere, at the kitchen table.

But also I notice the kitchen tuner, currently the Yamaha TX-1000, is much quieter than the F-26.  I'm bad at estimating these things, but it could be as much as 10dB.

The Kitchen tuner uses the best antenna in the house, at the peak of the roof, a Magnum Dynalab FM whip.

The F-26 uses a strategic inside antenna location I discovered one day, seemingly better than other locations inside on KPAC.

I have a second whip antenna, a different brand, about 6 feet further along the roof.  I intended that for a police scanner, which I bought this year but don't use much.

But you can get such a thing as an FM separator, which separates the FM band from the rest of the VHF/UHF signal.

This is similar to, but far less common than, VHF/UHF separators/combiners, of which I have 2 on hand (and one in use) which allow you to combine or separate antennas or inputs.

In principle, there is no loss, because there is no actual duplication involved.  One side gets the FM band, the other side gets everything else.

WIth an ordinary splitter, you get 3dB loss on each side.

I have a coax link between kitchen and living room installed by electricians which has been rarely used.  I mostly used it for digitial audio, but I thought I had issues with it and gave up.  The actual cable is RG-6.  RF was one of the possible original ideas.

So I'm going to separate FM through a link to the living room and see how well that does.  I also need to use an antenna isolator to prevent hum, I had a Mondial Magic Box but bought a second one before I found it.  They're not made anymore and in my test worked better than a newer one.

It's funny how hard these FM separators are to buy.  There's one made by Winegard and one by Philmore.  The Winegard is out of stock at Amazon and every other store I checked.  I was facing a similar fate with the Philmore but found one store that carried it, so I immediately purchased it.  I see on receipt it's supposed to have 1Ghz bandwidth, which is good because the local cops are mostly 850 Mhz, but there are some lower ones, so I wouldn't just want a VHF/UHF splitter I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment