Saturday, July 11, 2020

Emotiva Stealth DC-1

I bought three more of these Emotiva DACs after I found that my first one measured far better than all my dual differential 1704 based DACs.  As I recall, it measured 0.0003% distortion, which is identical or better than my Juli@ measurement card itself in loopback, so the Emotiva might even be better than that.  I needed 4 identical DACs with AES inputs and Balanced outputs and level control, so these inexpensive Emotiva DACs fit the ticket at a reasonable price.  They have always sounded sweet and pure to me.

I was shocked to see bad things written about this DAC after that.

  But now I go back to the original ASR review, and in fact it's pretty actually pretty good, beats the highly touted original Topping DX7 in THD but not linearity.  It would get a 2dB better SINAD score than the DX7.  It has other unimportant issues, like an -104dB idle tone at 17kHz with USB input playing J-Test.  Amir rightfully dismisses this as audibly unimportant, though not a good sign.

Elsewhere, and possibly at ASR,  I read something worrisome about a grounding issue and running rather hot.  I had to cancel a ground loop by plugging the Emotiva into the same circuit as my Amplifier...suggesting it IS grounded, but may lack isolation through the AES input which a professional unit should have.

Because of heat, I avoid stacking them, and in the one case I do, I use 3 rubber feet to separate them.

There are complains of failures at ASR, but I have had my original unit over 5 years, and no problems.

I continue to think about upgrading to the latest Topping, a D90 would be unequivocally better (unlike the DX7) but it hardly seems worth it for likely inaudible improvements, and I have more important things to think about.


No comments:

Post a Comment