Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Trying to use cheap ASUS notebook for REW

With existing equipment, I have been unable to use the signal generator output of my cheap i3 ASUS notebook with Windows 10 because:

1) The headphone jack has to be plugged in just at the right time (after the Realtek audio driver is running apparently) in order for a popup menu to appear to allow you to select the jack use as a "speaker" output.  Otherwise, REW generator plays on the very limited built-in speakers.

Perhaps it's nice to have this flexibility, but IMO plugging in the headphone jack should immediately and without question stop the internal speaker, at least by default.

2) The output of the jack is hugely noise with hum and spikes, so much I can barely see a 1kHz signal at the default -12dB, or even -3dB, amidst all the noise, on my scope.

3) Somehow despite all the noise, the THD+N measures a "mere" 4.5%  I had to tune my ST1700A to 999Hz for the PC audio signal to lock.

4) My Emu 0404 is long not supported.  It was a true pain in the neck to get the drivers installed, I only found out by internet search that you need to turn ON the unit WHILE it is already plugged into USB and the PC is running.  THEN and only then will it identify itself to the installer program as the genuine EMU product, so installation will proceed.  But apparently the only drivers I have found so far, the V1.40 drivers, do not actually work on Windows 10.  People have had better success with the V1.35 drivers, but I have been unable to find those so far.

What happens with the V1.40 drivers is that when the EMU is turned on,  everything related to sound locks up.  So REW won't work, the even the Realtek preferences is frozen.  To free this freeze, a reboot of the system is required.

Both the V1.40 and V1.35 drivers were beta drivers for Windows 7.  There is no non-beta driver subsequent to XP and there is no "Windows 10" driver of any kind.

I have on order a modern USB DAC that is highly praised at the Audio Sciences Forum.  That MIGHT make this PC useful.

For speaker input, I was able to get the miniDSP usb microphone to work ok.  It's just output that's an issue.





No comments:

Post a Comment