Friday, October 19, 2018

MiniDSP opener

All these distractions from my #1 audio concept: linear phase DSP.

Wow, I can actually run rePhase 1.3.0 on my Mac using the latest Wine from Wine HQ!

Loading in the number of taps, I was reminded of the 48kHz sampling rate limitation of the OpenDRC 2x2 plug in for my OpenDRC-DI.  With my 40kHz super tweeters and all, I wanted to stick with 96kHz, which is what I resample analog sources to.

Well apparently the sampling rate can be boosted to 96kHz using a different "plug in."  I'm beginning to see how this works.  The OpenDRC-DI can accept digital inputs up to 216kHz, but the get asynchronously resampled to whatever the plug-in runs at.  And if the plug in runs at a higher sampling rate, then there are fewer taps.  This IS an issue for the ultimate DSP control, especially at low frequencies where you want a lot of taps to deal with complicated room issues.

This thread discusses the possibility of running the miniSharc 4x8 plug in on the OpenDRC platform to get 96 kHz capability.  The downside is that the taps are reduced to 2048.  Using the standard OpenDRC 2x2 plug in, 6144 taps are available.

It seems to me I could use the 4x8 plug-in on my supertweeters where the 96kHz rate is useful, and then run the 2x2 plug in for the panels and subs.

One nice feature in this regards is that the miniDSP's are going to be putting out the designated sampling rate no matter what the input source.  So, I will only have to do the time alignment between DACs for one sampling rate, instead of separately for each sampling rate.  In other words, I just do the time alignment once, and it's set, regardless of sampling rates and the fact that I'm using a different sampling rate for the super tweeters.



No comments:

Post a Comment