Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Turntable Peripheral Clamps (aka Rings)

Clamping records at the periphery has seemed to me like a good idea since the first I heard of it in the early 1980's.  I'm surprised it hasn't caught on more than it has.  Center weights and clamps have definitely caught on.  It seems like all serious audiophiles either:

1) Have a center weight or clamp on their turntable

OR

2) Own a Linn or Rega and have bought the non-clamping ideology those two firms promote.


I know relatively few people with Linns or Regas anymore.  And curiously all those people I do know...which includes myself...are fully into clamping nevertheless.  With the one exception of the Linn guru Mark who was once a dealer.

I will say that if you are not listening "seriously," just background listening or dancing, non-clamping is more convenient and even sometimes lends itself to background listening (because more highs) and dancing (more percussive sound from record resonances).

So, I've decided I will not always bother to clamp, even though I believe it sounds Much Better generally speaking.

And I'd like to take it to the next level with peripheral clamps, sometimes called "turntable rings."  From both my intuition, and limited experience (I heard the R.E.A.L. once)  I strongly believe this is the way to go.  While center clamping, it's always bothered me that the edge of the record wasn't getting much if any help, or worse.

There is a VPI stainless steel version, which sells for $999.  VPI advises that you not use this on many VPI models until you upgrade the platter and bearing to the HRx level.

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/vpi-periphery-outer-ring-clamp

Wayne's Audio in Pomona California has two "universal" models for $599 and $699 apiece:

https://www.waynesaudio.com/shop

Merrill sells their ring clamp for $850, or part of $1200 set that includes center weight.  It is not clear if these are suitable for other than Merrill turntables.

http://www.osageaudio.com/merrill_williams.html

I'd like to have Merrill's version most of all...as he really seems to understand turntables and resonances and clamping the best from decades of experience.  And I'd like to have a Merrill turntable to go with it, either a R.E.A.L. or one of his previous designs.  But, understandably, his version is the priciest, and the tables aren't cheap either (except relative to performance compared with other tables).


No comments:

Post a Comment