Sunday, October 24, 2010

Symphony, 101dB

The San Antonio Symphony had a stirring rendition of Pines of Rome on Saturday night.  This is a big audiophile favorite going way back, but however many times I've heard it reproduced it was even more impressive live last night.  It was mind blowing!  Perhaps wrecking the mood, at the final climax I discretely pulled out my mobile device to measure peak dB.  I did see a 101dB average A weighted reading, pretty impressive in itself, but after I switched to peak I couldn't reproduce that again.  Immediately thereafter I was the first to rise in the unanimous standing ovation.  [Note: I tried to be discrete, and didn't disturbe anyone around me because there was none.  But I think I'll avoid doing this in the future, the symphony hall is my church.]

No comments:

Post a Comment